Connections – The world of Work
Primary CMS area
Other CMS areas
Managing Life and Career and Finding Work and Accessing Learning
This unit is designed to broaden pupils’ horizons and have them understand how different job roles relate to one another. It is also intended to illustrate to pupils the variety of options they have to apply their skills or have a career in a particular industry. The unit explores questions such as: How many different job roles does it take to make a company/industry work? What kind of job roles exist in all companies/industries? How many different job roles involve working with (animals/art/cars, etc.)
- Gain an understanding of how job roles are related to one another
Identify the different job roles associated with one industry/type of work
Identify the different tasks performed by the people in the job roles identified
- Identify at least three different industries/areas where they could work in their chosen field
- Some pupils will identify the different ways that people in different roles support each other’s work
Name of the activity.
A small group of activity.
Students work in small groups (3 – 4) to identify the different job roles associated with a particular industry/theme/ or work activity. Once the groups have completed the activity, each group presents their findings to the class.
This Basic classroom materials only:
- Worked example of the activity
- Large sheets of paper (Flip chart)
- Coloured pens
- Teacher’s aid – sectors and occupations
Illustrate the activity using an example and set up the activity – 5 – 10 minutes Student activity (small group – 3 – 4) – 30 minutes: Show and tell – 10 – 15 minutes
Role of the teachers
Introduce the activity using an example – The idea is to have pupils understand that they may be able to pursue a career in a field that they love. For example, they may not get to be a race car driver, but they may be able to promote racing events as a marketer.
Facilitate the groups of students as they complete the activity
Control the timings
Facilitate the group presentations
- I am able to set myself career goals
- I generate ideas that help me to achieve my goals
- I remain positive when facing setbacks and I stay positive for the future.
Managing Life and Career
- I am innovative and creative in my thinking about my work, learning and life Finding Work and Accessing Learning
- I can find work or learning opportunities that are right for me
Assess pupils’ work through observation and questioning.