Primary CMS area
Other CMS areas
- Personal effectiveness
- Finding and accessing opportunities
- Understanding the world
The main objective of this unit is to encourage students to interact with jobs and professions, in a simply way, but at the same time to communicate and to socialize with classmates. Each learning intervention is done in the form of a game, and through concrete actions if they relate to their age, Our students learn about concepts regarding work. The activities will help students learn work related terms and use them properly.
This unit aim is about work, tools, environment, products, persons, workforce etc. This kind of activity supports students in their interaction with jobs and professions, thus they can reflect about their future and life. The students will need to be able to discuss about occupations, in different modalities: role plat, art-creative techniques, group activities. The teacher facilitates a creative atmosphere where students are able to talk about jobs. Learning about occupations through interactions is very important because it is an excellent opportunity to become aware of their talents, qualities, interests.
Activity 1. Yes, I know the work
- To find and use information and the support of others for (future) career
- To interact confidently with others
- To build relationships and networks
- To explore different jobs and professions
- To exercise soft skills through gamification
Each student presents himself/herself to the others through a quality that he/she believes he/she has and which is important for a profession (for example: honesty- lawyer, carefully and loving- teacher, skilled- auto mechanic).
They will bring at school different objects related to different simple jobs, known by them. Then, using these objects, they will present a simple action, in pair.
The students will participate in a game where each student will draw an object and tell to the class what jobs that object can be used for. The classmates will continue with information about the guessing job, the work environment, salary, education etc.
Worksheet. Imagine your job, when you will grow up. Please describe the tools used in the profession that you will practice. Talk about the conditions of this work. Then, draw and write down the 3 most important sentences or keywords about what you want to do when you are older. My dream job is…, What motivates you to fulfill your dream?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5UHA2sf-IE, Jobs and Occupations for Kids | What Does He/She Do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R69YKFmlcnA, Kids vocabulary – Job – Let’s learn about jobs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnP-Q7Y9bI0, Learn about Jobs and Professions for Kids | Learning occupation for Children |Various professions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOv4EnaeM9w, Occupations Song ♫ Community Helpers Kids Song ♫ Best Kids Songs ♫ Career Song ♫The Learning Station
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL7K6C6bR7g, Learning Professions for Toddlers and Kids – What Tools Different Professions Use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsuRhtTeygE, SELFIE tool: Supporting students for learning in the digital age – A worksheet- Be motivate, dream big
- Introduction about professions (10 min.)
- Presentation about quality and profession (10 min.)
- Presentation in team of tools used in different professions in team (10 min.)
- Working in pairs or in team on worksheet IMAGINE YOUR FUTURE JOB (25 minutes) – Debriefing, reflections (5 minutes)
Activity 2. Jobs Museum
- Get to know different jobs, important for the future
- Find and use information and support of others for my (future) career
- Apply career information in various learning contexts
Introduction- Teacher asks students about the museums they have visited or they know about. The teachet talk about Top 10 Museums of the world. Then, he/she asks about careers related to a museum.
- What kind of jobs do you meet in a museum?
- Please describe a profession necessary in this place.
- Create an art gallery of all the jobs you know- drawings! Choose a job from this jobs museum and describe a regular work day.
- Each student will create a flashcard with a jobs, then the teacher will collect and mix them into a box. Each student will extract a flashcard from the box and the others must guess the job, asking questions only with YES or NO answers. ”Is it about medical domain? Is it risky? It is safe? A lot of money? Long time for education? Does it require special uniform?”
“Jobs Museum” The students will bring at school different objects (toy, phone, robot, flower, pencil, syringe, spoon etc.) related to different simple jobs, known by them. Then, using these objects, they will present in front of the group a specific action, skills, motivations, conditions for a job. They can participate at the role play in pairs or in groups. After that, in team, the students organize the jobs museum using all the objects.
- Tools, instruments, photos, symbols about different careers brought by the students
- Flashcards with jobs created by students: doctor, teacher, carpenter, IT specialist etc.
- Example of questions to find the correct job- ”Guess How”
- Online images with the top 10 Museums of the world
- Brainstorming about museums (What it is a museum?), introductory activity related with the most important museums of the world (10 min.)
- Jobs related to the museum (15 min.)- individual, pairs and team activities interventions
- The Jobs Museum- arranging the classroom as a jobs museum, using all the objects, tools, and materials (30 min.)
- Debriefing/ metacognition/ reflections (5 minutes)
The teacher facilitates the understanding of the achieving goals. Support and motivation for the games and activities, communicate the most important ideas about the career exploring.
Inquiry based learning (active learning & experiential learning)
What have I gained?
Students will fill in the class Honour book – graphics, design, sentences and feelings/ emotions about the jobs museum.